Thursday, April 20, 2017

Double Duty Dare

Hello and thanks so much for stopping by.  I have a project for Emerald Creek Dares to share with you today, actually I have a couple of projects since Kim's dare to us this month was to look at our products differently and create 2different projects using the same products.  She asked us to take one creation and give it two purposes or use one product in two different ways (ie/ a stamp as the image and as a pattern).

I decided to use one of Kim's stamps, the Tiger Lily stamp, in a couple of different ways.  I first used the stamp in a conventional way, making a floral birthday card with the stamp as the focal image.


But then I noticed that the bottom part of this floral stamp looked remarkably like a big splash of water;


and that led to this card, I had a hoot making this one!


I've a few step out photos for both cards, read on for the how to(s)!

For the Tiger Lily birthday card, I started out with a Michaels card blank and cut a piece of Distress Mixed Media Heavystock with a 1/4" reveal on all sides and inked it up with Distress inks in Wild Honey, Spiced Marmalade and Carved Pumpkin with the wrinkle free distress method.  The Tiger Lily was stamped with Vintage Photo Archival ink and then embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder.


The Tiger Lily was then watercoloured with the same colours of Distress ink to intensify the colours on the floral stamp.

One of Emerald Creek's Three Star Metal Band charms was embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and a bit of the embossing powder was lifted off by dabbing it with a paper towel while the powder was still soft (be very careful you don't burn yourself!) to reveal the details on the charm and attached with brads (also embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves) to the card front.


A birthday greeting from Simon Says Stamp's Birthday Balloons 4 x 5 3/4" clear stamp set was stamped with Black Soot Archival ink and clear embossed and three stars from the same stamp set were stamped with Vintage Photo Archival ink and clear embossed to echo the stars on the charm.


And then it was time for card number two with the Tiger Lily stamp.  I started with the same sized card blank but this time orientated it vertically.  Distress Mixed Media Heavystock was cut to the same size and inked up with Distress inks in Tumbled Glass and Broken China with the wrinkle free distress method and then the 'splash' portion of the Tiger Lily stamped was inked with Broken China and Salty Ocean Distress inks.  I used a Broken China Distress marker to ink up the fine little dots on the stamp.  The 'splash' was stamped onto the bottom of the prepared cardstock and then embossed with clear embossing powder.


I repeated this process with a second piece of cardstock for the inside of the card but more on that later!

I die cut Tim Holtz's Pipeline die from chipboard and embossed it with Hammered Metal embossing powder.  I added some patina to the Pipeline pieces with Distress crayons (thanks to Nicole Wright who shared that tip on her Instagram feed!).


I searched on line for a vintage photograph to use for my diving lady and found a pic of a very flexible young contortionist.  I cut off her legs (sounds very cruel when you put it that way!) and added her to the bottom of the card as if she was diving into the water.  You can see the patina effect with the Distress crayons on the Pipeline segments in the photo below as well.


The sentiment 'make a splash' was die cut from black cardstock with Tim Holtz's new Traveler Words Thin dies (I just cut a bunch of his words and used the die cut letters to spell out the sentiment) and added some Glossy Accents to the water droplet die cut with the Pipeline die.


And then it was on to the inside of the card!


The second stamped and inked piece of card was adhered to the inside and I found another vintage photo of a lovely lady to be my diver emerging from the Tiger Lily water splash.  She kind of reminds me of Esther Williams (and all of you young 'uns will have no idea who I'm talking about LOL!)  The 'on your birthday' sentiment was die cut from the same Traveler Words Thin dies as on the front.

The 'happiest' sentiment in her hand and the balloon were stamped with a Simon Says Stamp Birthday Celebration 3 x 4" clear stamp set and fussy cut.  The balloon was watercoloured with blue Distress inks and a piece of button thread was added for the string.


And that was it!  I really love this second card, makes me laugh each time I look at it and I'm so glad that I took a second look at my Tiger Lily stamp to see it's 'double duty' possibilities, thanks for a fun dare Kim!

Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:


I hope that you've been inspired to take a second look at some of the supplies in your craft room and that you will join in our Double Duty challenge this month.  There is a very generous gift certificate from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies online store up for grabs:


plus you get 10% off your next order from Emerald Creek Craft Supplies just for entering our Dare!


Hope to see you there and as always thank you for stopping by and happy creating!

Deb xo

11 comments:

  1. That floral birthday card is bright and happy and terrific. But that "splash" birthday card is such a surprise! I don't know that I would ever have noticed the splash in that flower stamp. And look at what fun stuff you've done with it! You know I'm lookin' at all my stamps in a new way dontcha. LoL. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb!! Seriously amazing cards! I love love love the legs coming out of the splash!! Always inspiring and I love the backgrounds on these beauties!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you interpreted the Double Duty challenge. That's a great idea - finding the splash in the center of the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really did make very clever use of the Lily stamp to create the water - very impressive double duty! I love the colours on the lily card and the splash one just makes me smile - love it! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are great. Good eye spotting that splash on the stamp. Now it can serve double duty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you used the lily stamp Deb! The splash card is by far my favourite as I love the legs sticking out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you used the lily. I have used it as a wing and a pattern on a skirt. I still haven't used it as a flower! So great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously amazing!!! Love the how creative you used the stamp!!! Fabulous Deb, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that when challenged to look at things differently we come up with some amazing and brilliant ideas, this is exactly what you did here Deb, you definitely saw something so unusual and unique in that stamp and created a second brilliant design. I still love the gorgeous lily design as well. Have a wonderful weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still giddy and bouncing about this project. I LOVE how your saw the Lily. Both you and Jess could see something I would never have seen and taught me a skill I would have never known about. I love your project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous inky effects on both cards, and I just love the lily splash - so clever!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo