Thursday, May 11, 2017

Circle Evolution Mixed Media Techniques Art Journal Page

Hello everyone, it's a rainy, thunder rumbley day outside so decided that it was the perfect time to play with some of my new Therm O Web supplies (see my last post for my exciting news!).   I experimented with their Heavy Weight Mixed Media Sheets, Easy-Cut Adhesive and Deco Foil in my mixed media techniques journal that I made a couple of weeks ago with Eileen Hull's Journal die.


I called the journal page 'circle evolution' because of all the ways I used Seth Apter's Coffee Ring die cuts along with Stencil Girl Products Circular Patterns For Play stencil on my page and I've a few step out photos on how I created it.

I started with a piece of Heavy Weight Mixed Media Sheet and first tried inking it with Distress inks and an applicator.  The Mixed Media sheets have an intriguing texture, part way between fabric and paper, and it wasn't accepting the Distress ink colour real well with the applicator so I went directly to the sheet with the Distress ink pad with good results.  I tried a little spritz and flick with water and then decided to stencil over the Distress inked sheet with Stencil Girl's Circular Patterns stencil and some DecoArt Media fluid acrylics.  The Mixed Media sheet took the paint like a dream with great vibrancy of colour.


Now that I'd started down the circular path, I decided to die cut the Mixed Media sheet with Seth Apter's Coffee Ring dies.  I then decided to give the die cut rings some dimension so covered some black fun foam with Easy-Cut Adhesive, die cut the Coffee Rings again from the foam and then peeled off the top layer of the Easy-Cut Adhesive and adhered the Mixed Media sheet die cuts on top.


I was then left with a piece of black fun foam that had the nested Coffee Ring negatives cut into it.  I loved how it looked so I peeled off the Easy-Cut Adhesive that was already on the fun foam and burnished on some Lime Deco Foil. There was one edge that didn't have any of the Easy-Cut Adhesive on it, so I used the Deco Foil Adhesive Pen to fill in the blanks and then went back over that area with the Deco Foil again to get full coverage.


I loved the negative image that was left on the Deco Foil after it had transferred so decided I had to figure out a way to use it too!

While I was contemplating that, I gessoed a double page spread in one of the removable signatures from my mixed media techniques journal and then inked it with Distress Oxides and stamped it with Tim Holtz's Pine background stamp and Distress Ink.  Some words from Stencil Girls Tropical Floral stencil were added with Black Soot Distress ink;


and then I masked off the word 'secret' from their Inside Out stencil and inked it with Twisted Citron Distress ink and outlined it with a 0.01 black Micron pen.  The secret will be revealed shortly!


I cut a piece of the stenciled Heavy Weight Mixed Media sheet slightly larger than the Deco Foiled fun foam die cut and adhered the fun foam over top with some Mixed Media Adhesive.  Four Finnabair Mechanicals brads were coloured with Pitch Black alcohol ink and inserted into the corners of the Deco Foiled fun foam.


And then I inked and stamped a #8 hang tag so that I had a place to record everything I'd used on the page for future reference.  These circles from a Tim Holtz Bitty Grunge stamp set were perfect for my page's theme!


And then I just adhered each of my circle elements to the pages.


I also decided to use one of the negative die cuts left on the Mixed Media sheet after I had cut out one of the Coffee Rings.  I outlined both the Coffee Ring positive mounted on top of the fun foam and the negative die cut with a little scribbley Micron pen to give them a little more presence on the page.


 My secret revealed :O)  Don't know how long this element will last since the Deco Foil is designed to release from the clear backing paper (I may end up with some lovely foiled dots of glue instead in the future!) but I loved the look of this Deco Foil negative so much I couldn't bear not to use it.  You can also see my record of the techniques and products I used on the back of the tag in this pic.


So that was the first of many play days with Therm O Web's products, let the fun begin!


Thanks as always for stopping by today, have a great weekend everyone and an extra special wish for happiness to all the Mom's out there, hope your weekends are wonderful!

Deb xo

7 comments:

  1. You've certainly had great fun with circles on this piece Deb, thanks for sharing how each step unfolded. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great circle journal page. Love the coffee ring dies. Those words look awesome too. Great word stencils. Love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great journal pages, love your choice of colours and of course the gorgeous Seth dies!
    Happy crafty weekend, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you enjoyed every minute of your playtime with your new crafty things - and the result is beautiful!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool. Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cool! Well, I didn't have to wait long for that!! Love these circles moving the eye around the variations of colour and positive/negative impressions. The shimmer of the metallic foil is fabulous. It's very easy to see you had lots of fun experimenting.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous Deb, I love your evolution tag. Congratulations on your new DT xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo