Thursday, May 4, 2017

Circus Fun Art Shrine For A Vintage Journey

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  It's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey and this month our host Jenny has chosen the theme 'Use A Quote'.  Here is her brief:

Take a quote! Any quote! Whether it be on a stamp, a sticker, handwritten or sourced from the internet and make it the focal point of your vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk project.

This month our generous sponsor is That's Crafty! and they are offering a £20 voucher to their online store www.thatscrafty.co.uk.

In addition to their generous sponsorship, That's Crafty also supplied all of the surfaces that the AVJ Creative Guides used for our projects this month, thank you That's Crafty!  They sent me their Large Art Shrine - House and here is what I created with it.


I used a wonderful quote from Wendy Vecchi's Fun With Art stamp set;


which, when combined with the circus tent shape of the House art shrine, totally led me down the circus path.  I can't think of too many things more fun than a circus or more fearless than sticking your head in a lion's mouth!


I've a few step out photo's on how I created it, hope you will enjoy seeing them.

I started of course with That's Crafty's Large Art Shrine - House.  The size of the finished shrine is fabulous, over 12" tall and 6 1/2"wide!


I covered the House shrine inside and out with some of Tim Holtz's Retro Grunge scrapbook paper, it always reminds me of circus tents when I see it.

I then stamped Tim's Big Top stamps onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and die cut the stamped images with the accompanying dies.  I also die cut a couple more of each of the figures from some chipboard packaging so I could layer them for more dimension.  The Wendy Vecchi quote was also stamped onto Heavystock and die cut with the Sizzix Label, Ornate #4 die.


Watercolouring came next with Distress inks and a water brush.  I used reds and greens to coordinate with the Retro Grunge scrapbook paper covering the shrine along with some Hickory Smoke for the elephant and Frayed Burlap for the lion.  Antique Linen was used for the flesh tones on the circus performers.

As you can see, I decided to transform the strong man into an aerialist as I didn't have enough room for him on the floor of my circus tent, I guess my circus just has two rings rather than three!  I cut off the ends of the barbell he was lifting and then sandwiched some thin gold wire between the die cut packaging to act as the wires on his trapeze.  I then drilled a couple of holes through the top of the assembled shrine box and threaded the wires through so that he could fly through the air with the greatest of ease!


Some fabulous images from a variety of Alpha Stamps' circus collage sheets were used to decorate the inside and the outside of the House shrine box and the front panel of the shrine was then adhered to the box.

The watercoloured die cut figures were arranged inside the shrine;


and I used some folded pieces of scrapbook paper adhered to the back of the die cut figures to hold them upright.


Tim Holtz Regions Beyond Design Tape was used to outline the box of the shrine and a piece of black Dazzles Thin Line Border Sticker was used to delineate the roof of the circus 'tent' from the walls.


The circus pennants banner and the two signs on the front walls are from another Alpha Stamps circus collage sheet and they were all given a coat of Distress Vintage Collage medium.  A couple of Mushroom alcohol ink coloured Mirrored Stars were used to suspend the circus banner.

The die cut quote was mounted onto a piece of die cut black fun foam for dimension and outlined with Platinum Stickles glitter glue.  A flag was created from more Retro Grunge paper and added to the top of the circus tent with a tooth pick as a flag pole and a clown's face peeking over the edge (another Alpha Stamps collage sheet image).


And finally, more circus collage sheet elements were added to the back of the shrine along with a wonderful giraffe fussy cut from a sheet of Bo Bunny Carnival Big Top scrapbook paper.


I hope that you have enjoyed seeing how my Circus Fun art shrine came together, it brought back lots of fun memories for me while I was creating it.


I'd like to thank That's Crafty once again for supplying this wonderful surface to create my project on and hope that you will enter our Use A Quote challenge this month at A Vintage Journey for a chance to win a voucher from That's Crafty so you can get one of your own!   Thanks for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

19 comments:

  1. Deb, you are AMAZING! And so is this fun miniature circus! So many wonderful details to peek at...my favorite is the flag on top the tent and the clown peeking from behind it. They are sneaky that way, aren't they?! (My daughter has a severe clown and mascot phobia, to the point of nearly passing out, and I couldn't help but think that she would actually be terrified of this clever use of a clown face.) You're a genius to see the strong man as an aerialist! Fantastic work here! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Deb this is absolutely delightful and such a clever design. I adore your circus theme with the stamped characters and animals, the brilliant background and circus banner and the whole big top feel you have created, it's amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Deb you must have had such fun making this! It's clever, and brilliant, and it makes me smile. You couldn't have chosen better papers or stamps for your big top. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore your circus shrine Deb! There are so many wonderful fun elements and they all come together so beautifully. Such a great idea to showcase your wonderful quote. LOve it ! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote and such a fun project Deb. Love all the depth and so much 3D work - an incredible design. Love the little guy hanging from the top! Brilliant xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, love this!!! the way you used the substrate is so fabulous and the quote is perfection. Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this Deb, fabulous detail and I adore the theme. Fantastic quote too . Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in love with your circus tent Deb, the paper makes a perfect tent, I love all the characters, the circus collage you added and that sentiment - it is all just so perfect and brings back the most wonderful memories for me too!! Love this - a lot!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! This is totally fabulous Deb x Love the quote and the amazing colours/details, especially the chap with his head in the lion's mouth. Like you I am blown away with the Art Shrine. TFS and best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who can resist a circus!?? and this one is so fun with the dimension of all your actors and that cute clown peeking out of the Big Top!?! All to illustrate your wonderful quote - a wonderful design Deb! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such FUN, I love this one and such a brilliant use of the That's Crafty substrate too :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So love this art shrine and how you used it. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Deb, this, what great use of that sbstrate! It has a real circus feel to it, - so cleverly put together! is such a colourful creative piece

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Deb this is so obviously a triumph! LOVE how you've teamed the circus stamped images with those poster backgrounds and clever striped tent. All the clever details just make it so gorgeous up close as well as at distance xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is super fantastic! Deb. Just love how you have transformed your art shrine into a wonderful circus big top with all the 'stars of the show' playing their part. Wonderful concept and execution and such fun! I can't stop smiling and 'roll up. roll up' is going round in my head right now lol .
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It wasn't until Paula reposted this on IG that I realized these images were stamps. I thought they were DP cutouts! You colored them so beautifully and really created a lovely and lively scene! This is so fun and creative and I love it to bits! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw this on FB earlier in the week, it's such a clever design and so well thought out. Love how it all fits perfectly into your shrine, a great project.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant circus fun! I adore the vintage posters in the background and on the reverse, and the fabulous dimensional layering of the circus acts and performers to lead the eye deeper and deeper into the story. I love your stripy big top, with the little flag on top too. So many brilliant details and all thought-out so perfectly. And great words too... Fantastic!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo