Thursday, June 29, 2017

Future's So Bright Hipster Tag

Hello everyone hope this finds you well!  Sorry for my absence but I've had a wonderful time visiting with my Mom and Dad who were up to visit us for a few days.  The computer and creating definitely took a back seat to their visit while they were here but unfortunately they had to head back home.  Once they were safely on their way, I scooted down to my studio to work on this tag for our Tag Friday post at A Vintage Journey.


Tag Friday's at A Vintage Journey are so much fun because we get to make any darn thing that we want so I took the opportunity to join in with the 'Get Hip For Summer' challenge being hosted by Tim Holtz and Sizzix.  I have to admit that I wasn't too sure about Tim's Hipster stamps when they were first released but after seeing all of the fun things folks have been doing with them I ordered a set from Simon Says Stamp and they arrived just the other day, perfect timing for my Tag Friday project!

I've a few step out photos on how I made it so grab a martini, put on some smooth jazz and read on ;O)

I started out by cutting a #8 hang tag with the Sizzix Tag Collection die from Distress Mixed Media Heavystock and stenciled the sun rays with Tim's Rays stencil and Distress inks in Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber and a touch of Wild Honey.  The stenciled rays were embossed with clear embossing powder in preparation for the next step.


Distress inks in Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans were added in an ombre fashion from top to bottom and spritzed with some water.  The blue inks were then wiped away from the embossed rays with a damp cloth.

Stamping with Black Soot Archival ink and a globe from a Forever In Time 'Timepieces' stamp set and a ticket from Tim Holtz's 'Clear Stamps - The Journey' stamp set were added below the stenciled rays.


I wanted some more texture on the tag background so took the #22 Mini Layering Stencil set - Linen and coloured through it here and there with a Weathered Wood Distress Crayon.

And then in my usual style I got on a role and forgot to take any more in process pictures so here are some closeups and explanations.

I stamped that very cool goat from Tim's Hipster stamp set onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock with Vintage Photo Archival ink and then watercoloured the image with Distress inks in Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Walnut Stain and a touch of Worn Lipstick.


He was crying out for a pair of shades so I stamped the glasses again and embossed the frames with black embossing powder and coloured the lenses with a black felt pen.  After fussy cutting the goat and the shades (or you can use the coordinating Sizzix dies to make your life easier), I adhered the shades overtop and then popped him up on some Therm O Web 3D Foam Squares on the tag background.

This guy is definitely a cool dude and I somehow saw him as an up and coming world renowned movie star with a fabulous future in front of him.  The phrase 'future's so bright, gotta wear shades' from the song by Timbuk3 came to mind so I printed it out on the computer and popped it up on more 3D Foam Squares  at the bottom of the tag.


He seems to have definitely found the Golden Ticket to success so I printed out a golden ticket image from a digital file courtesy of Vectoria Designs and attached it to the side of the tag with an Index Clip coloured with Sunshine Yellow alcohol ink and some Gold Mixative.

Since he is a legitimate movie star, I stamped the word 'legit' above his image with Black Soot Archival ink with a stamp from the Hipster set;


and then added an Adornments - Stars coloured with Sunshine Yellow and Gold Mixative alcohol inks and a File Tab coloured in the same way that had the movie camera image added to it.

Hope you've enjoyed seeing how my tag came together, I definitely understand the appeal of these Hipster stamps now, they are so much fun!


Hope you can take a minute to pop over to A Vintage Journey to see all of the tags that the Creative Guides made to share with you this month, as usual they are fabulous and I know you will enjoy seeing them all.  Thanks again for stopping by today and as always, happy creating!

Deb xo

13 comments:

  1. I love it. That's the coolest looking goat I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great summertime tag, Deb! The glossy ombre rays look just amazing against the blue sky - fab technique - and I love the little movie camera tab. Your hipster clearly has a big future ahead of him - such fun!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun Hipster tag Deb! Great inking and stampings on the background for your Legit hipster! love the sunglasses and fun metal clips you added! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Deb, this is a fantastic bright summery tag with a fabulous background and great hipster image, brilliantly shaded up to keep out the glare. Love seeing the steps you took to create this and the cool storyline you wove to bring it all together. Great job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool, fun and summery tag Deb, perfect use of that hipster stamp, - it brought a big smile to my face! Love how you did the background too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just amazing, so brilliantly designed, right down to the golden ticket. What fun! You have really worked your magic with this hipster and my fingers are crossed that you are one of this week's lucky winners. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is both brilliant and fun Deb. I love your little details like the golden ticket, and these hipsters are now top of my wish list. Have a wonderful weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so much fun. Love it!! it is Legit!! Hugs, S@ndy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun, cool tag! Deb with a real 'smile' factor . (smiling as I type) Love the bright rays and the text (not heard the song)they suit the 'story' of your tag perfectly . Lets hope this Hipster dude makes the big time .
    Thanks for putting some fun into today .
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is definitely a 'cool dude' Deb, I love the rays in the background and the golden ticket is a lovely finishing touch! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb, this is a brilliant combination of techniques! I love your rays background (that stencil seems to be brought out quite a bit lately in my own craft space) with the crayon stenciling (looks so rich!). The hipster goat is so cool, and somehow I've managed to resist adding these stamps to my collection even with all the great things I'm seeing made out in blogland with them. Your FUN creation may have just tipped me over the edge... HUgs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Deb, lovely fun summery tag. I adore the rays combined with your funky dude. The golden colour of the rays really does pop against the blue. Lovely tag. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hee hee - I love this! I wasnt sure about these hipster stamps but when I see things like this I just smile - so maybe I need them! Great tag Debxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo