Thursday, July 6, 2017

Geometry Squared Mixed Media Canvas For A Vintage Journey

Hello and thank you for stopping by.  It's the first Friday of the month and that means it is time for a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey.  Our theme for July is 'All Squared Up' and Tracy is our host, here is her brief for the challenge:

Whether a frame, embellishment, die cuts, drawn squares, doodles or windows, let's see where inspiration takes you, let's get all squared up and show how creative those right angles can look! Show us your squared up pieces in a vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journaling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk style.

Our sponsor this month is Tando Creative and they are offering a package of mdf and mini shapes to our lucky random winner, thank you Tando Creative!

Tracy's prompt led me down a very graphic path this month which is not a style that I create in very often but I have to say that I love it!


My Geometry Squared mixed media canvas evolved with the help of Tim Holtz's new Stitched Squares dies, multiple stencils from Stencil Girl Products, Rebekah Meier Designs Mixed Media Foam Sheets and Transfer Foil from Therm O Web and a colour palette of greens, yellows and oranges.  I've a few step out photos on how I created it so read on for the how to.

Tracy's prompt of squares had me rooting through my supplies to see just what I had in my stash and immediately my eyes lighted on Tim Holtz's new Stitched Squares dies that I'd just received.


Initially I was thinking of creating a layout with the single squares arranged in a random pattern but once I saw them layered upon each other as they tumbled out of the packaging my design idea was born.

I settled upon my colour palette and since there were 6 different sizes of dies I decided to cut two squares of different sizes from three masterboards.  The background on the first masterboard was created with Distress Oxide inks in Cracked Pistachio, Spiced Marmalade and Fossilized Amber.  Stenciling followed through the Rectangular Patterns For Play stencil from Stencil Girl Products with Distress Crayons in Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron and a Starfruit Gelato.  Two squares were die cut from this first masterboard and the edges shaded with Forest Moss Distress Crayon.


The second masterboard background was created with Distress Ink in the same three colours as above.  Stenciling was added through Stencil Girl Products Doodle It Bigger stencil with Distress Crayons in Spiced Marmalade and Fossilized Amber and a Clementine Gelato and with White Dina Wakley Media acrylic paint through the Numbers stencil.  Two more squares were die cut and edged with Forest Moss Distress Crayon.

The third masterboard background was painted with Dina Wakley Media acrylic paint in Lime, Lemon and Blushing.  Stenciling followed through the Doodle It Bigger stencil with Blushing Dina Wakley Media acrylic paint and through the Rembrandt's Words stencil with Bittersweet Chocolate Americana acrylic paint.  The last two squares were die cut and edged again with Forest Moss Distress Crayon.


I wanted a fairly neutral background for my layered squares so decided to use some Antique Pearl Mixed Media Transfer Foil adhered to a piece of Mixed Media Foam Sheet.  The foam sheets have double sided adhesive so it was easy to adhere the Transfer Foil to one side and then adhere the foiled foam to a piece of corrugated cardboard so my squares would have a sturdy backing.

I die cut all 6 sizes of the Stitched Squares dies once again from Mixed Media Foam Sheet and adhered them to the back of each stenciled square.  The adhesive backing was removed from each square and they were layered up one atop the other, alternating the orientation of the squares and the colours and patterns.


The 'create art' phrase from Tim Holtz's Quotations Metallic Stickers was adhered to the top square and a scribbley outline added with a black Pigma Micron pen.

The layered squares were then adhered to the foiled background and more scribbley lines added around the lowermost square with the Micron pen and a white Dylusions Paint Pen.  I felt I needed a little something in each corner so just doodled in some overlapping squares with the Micron and white Dylusions pens.


A Small Easel was cut from some scrapbook paper and added to the back to serve as a stand for my canvas.  You can see the dimension created by adding the Mixed Media Foam Sheet behind each of the squares in the picture below.


I hope that you've enjoyed seeing how my Geometry Squared mixed media canvas came together, not my usual fare as I said but I really do love it!


Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope that you will be able to take a minute to visit A Vintage Journey to see all the 'squared up' projects created by the Creative Guides to share with you.  Looking forward to seeing what you link up with us this month as well, remember it's hip to be square!  Happy creating,

Deb xo

15 comments:

  1. How fun this looks to have been to create it! Love all the bright colors and designs in contrast. Quite a happy piece of art to inspire more art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb I love your citrus squares layered geometrically and patterned individually, they look fabulous together. Creating three master boards from which to cut the squares gives complete continuity to the design. The lighter foiled background is a fabulous contrast and makes the squares pop. A great take on the challenge. Have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous. It appeals to the artist and the quilter. IT reminds me of a quilt block I just saw on my friends blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, what a clever piece of artwork! I love how your design was inspired, and the finished product is awesome with brilliant techniques and eye-catching colors! Thank you for the great tutorial! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful mix of colors and stenciling on your juxtapositioned squares Deb! The squares in the corner tie it all in - and I love how you've made it for display with your easel! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta tell you I love this! I do love geometric shapes and your design is just fabulous. Love how each layer is different. A wonderful creations Deb. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colors are amazing and I love how you used the foil. The doodled corners and offset dies are just fabulous! How fun and creative! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so modern and arty with the geometric pattern, gorgeous colours and your wonderful design Deb. It is beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love geometry (yeh,I'm a closet Math nerd , sshhh don't tell everyone) and you have created a terrific geometric MM canvas Deb. Wonderful summery colour combos and stenciling on each of the squares and the foam sheet gives a lovely dimension to each of the squares. A great take on the challenge theme .
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Anne this is so modern looking and I adore the citrus colour and you used Deb. Fabulous interpretation of the challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great mixed media canvas Deb! Great colours and I love how you put it all together. The end result looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love how my eye travels round and round these angular corners in search of the next fabulous colour contrast or unexpected geometric shape layered into the panels. A fantastic design, and I just love the bold, summery colours.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun fun piece of art you've made! Love how you used the stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  15. apologies for being so late in catching up/commenting Debs........This is stunning and I love the wonderful colours/details here...perfect for Tracy's challenge.

    TFS and hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo