Friday, October 20, 2017

Merry Retro Christmas Card

Hello everyone, I'm just about caught up with the 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style challenge over on Linda Coughlin's blog that is being sponsored by her store The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  Today I'm sharing a retro style Christmas card with you that was inspired by Linda's week #3 tag.


My Merry Retro Christmas card was inspired by Linda's red colour palette (which was a stretch for me as red is not a colour I use very often!) and her use of Tim's Retro Merry Christmas dies which I used as well.  I also used a couple of Tim's Mini Retro Ornaments Movers & Shapers dies to continue the retro vibe, read on for my how to!

It occurred to me while I was making the snowflakes for my last Funkie Junkie inspired card that if the white corrugated cardstock was coloured with red ink it would make a great candy cane.  Since I don't have Tim's Peppermint Layering stencil yet, I decided to use white corrugated cardstock for my background and cut a piece on the diagonal (4" x 5 1/4"), running it through my Big Shot to flatten the corrugations slightly.


I then inked the raised areas with Candied Apple Distress Ink, oh boy, that is red!!

In the end it was just too intensely red for me, so I toned it down with some Aged Mahogony DI, inked around the edges with a bit of Vintage Photo DI and mounted the inked corrugated card onto a white A2 sized card blank.


I don't have any plain red cardstock (told you I don't use red very often!) so die cut the 'christmas' word with Tim's Retro Merry Christmas die from white cardstock and then backed it with a slightly bumped black cardstock die cut.  The 'merry' word was die cut from silver Deco Sheet and then backed with white cardstock.

The Mini Retro Ornaments were die cut from some Tidings Paper Stash in red and cream and from some red Holiday Deco Sheet.  The red and cream ornament was accented with a strip of silver Deco Sheet and the red Deco Sheet ornament accented with a strip of the red and cream scrapbook paper.


I then die cut the star from Sizzix's Star & Circle Movers & Shapers dies from silver and red Deco Sheet, insetting the red star  into the silver star.

And finally, Tim's Bird Branch die was cut from white cardstock, trimmed down to fit across the top of the card and embossed with Emerald Creek Craft Supplies Soft Fallen Snow embossing powder.


The embossed branch was adhered across the top of the card and the two retro ornaments tied onto it with a bit button thread.


The 'merry Christmas' sentiment was layered overtop along the bottom of the card on a slight angle and the layered Deco Sheet star added to the bottom right corner.


A sentiment was stamped on the inside of the card with Black Soot Distress Archival ink and clear embossed using a Stamptember 2016 Holiday stamp from Simon Says Stamp (it was a limited release and not available any longer I'm sorry to say).


So that's my take on week #3 of the 12 Tags Of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style, hope that you've enjoyed seeing it.


There is still plenty of time to join in the fun over at Linda's blog (you have until December 29th to get all 12 of your entries completed) so hope to see you there and happy creating!

Deb xo

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like the red better after you toned it down with the distree ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I never thought of using the white corrugated paper to create stripes. How brilliant is that? Thanks for teaching me a new technique, Deb! Love the way it turned out. Thanks for embracing the red challenge, but truly, you didn't need to be inspired by "red". It could have been any color. As a lover of red, I think your card is luscious! Great work and a totally merry holiday inspiration. Thanks for sharing it with us for week #3!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo