Monday, September 4, 2017

Canada Travel Diary For Emerald Creek Craft Supplies

Hello and thanks for stopping by, hard to believe but the month of September is upon us and that means it's time for a new challenge over at Emerald Creek Dares.  This month, we are celebrating Canada's 150th birthday with our Canada The Beautiful Dare.  Kim is asking us to highlight Canadian living, be it mountains, rivers, snow, water, trees, red and white, maple leaves, wild life, etc.  For this Dare I decided to make a start on a Canada Travel Diary for the journey that my hubby and I are going to make across this amazing country of ours.


My husband is retiring this year and our retirement plan is to explore Canada from coast to coast to coast but rather than visiting the conventional places and sights we plan to explore the back country and wilderness that encompasses so much of our amazing nation.  In keeping with our travel plans, I used many of Emerald Creek's wildlife stamps along with some of their embossing powders and charms to make a start on my travel diary, read on for the how to!

Emerald Creek Craft Supplies used:


I wasn't sure how many pages I would need in my Canada travel diary so decided the easiest way to design it was to create individual pages joined together with a loose leaf ring so I could add pages as necessary.  I am just starting with a front and back cover and one other page right now and the rest will follow as we start on our travels this coming spring.

The base for all of the pages was a vintage map of Canada that I found online, printed out onto 110 lb cardstock.  Two maps were adhered together back to back to form each page and the edges inked with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink.


The chipboard word 'Canada' from Southern Ridge's Canada 150 Set was inked with Barn Door Distress Stain and then embossed with Emerald Creek's Oh Canada embossing powder.

Emerald Creek's Orca was stamped onto white 67 lb cardstock with Black Soot Distress Archival ink, clear embossed and fussy cut (love this stamp!).


The Moose, Big Horn Sheep and Pine Cone were stamped with Ground Espresso Distress Archival ink, clear embossed and fussy cut again.  All of the stamped images were watercoloured with Distress Inks as you'll see in the pics below.

A Heart brad was embossed with Candy Red embossing powder,


and a Squirrel charm was inked with Mushroom and Caramel alcohol inks and then embossed with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder.

A Filigree Leaf charm was embossed with Verdigris Sparkle embossing powder on one side of the leaf and with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder on the other.


The small maple leaves from Southern Ridge's Canada 150 set and the Skeleton Maple Leaf were coloured with more Barn Door Distress Stain (which is the perfect Canada red!).

And then the pages were put together.  The front cover was embellished with the embossed Canada word, one of the small maple leaves and the embossed heart brad.  Each page had an eyelet set into the top left corner.  The Filigree Leaf and Squirrel charms were hung off the loose leaf ring.


The fussy cut orca and another small maple leaf on the inside of the front cover, I left lots of room for journaling and for adding pictures from our travels on the West Coast.

The front of the middle page was stamped with the Aldergrove stamp and Distress inks and some mountains and trees from Tim Holtz's Snowglobe die were added along with the fussy cut big horn sheep stamp.  I added one of the small maple leaves to each of the pages front and back.


The Summer Camp stamp was stamped a couple of times with Distress inks on the back of the middle page as a backdrop for the fussy cut moose.

The inside of the back cover was embellished with the bear from the Canada 150 set that was embossed with some Weathered Wood embossing powder and then inked with Mushroom alcohol ink.  The bear was positioned over top another small maple leaf and the fussy cut pine cones.


And finally the back cover was adorned with the Skeleton Maple Leaf from Southern Ridge.

I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my Canada Travel Diary, I can't begin to tell you how excited we are to start on our retirement journey and fill it up with lots of wonderful pictures and memories!


Hope that you've been inspired as well to join in our Canada The Beautiful Dare, you have a chance to win a $50.00 gift certificate to their online store;

as well as receiving a 10% discount on your next purchase just for entering the Dare!


 Thanks as always for stopping by today and can't wait to see what you link up, happy creating!

Deb xo

6 comments:

  1. what a wonderful travel journal. I kept thinking I had a favorite page until you showed the next one and then I had a new favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Deb, your retirement plans sound wonderful! And the travel diary looks awesome. How fun it will be to fill in the pages with details of your travels across Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see this lovely wee album get filled up ;) I live in Victoria BC and to explore Vancouver Island is on my Bucket List :) So many beautiful places to see in our great country, but this island has sooooo much to offer. I do hope you get a chance to explore this lovely west coast. Great album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love your little diary, it is perfect for your new adventures, the die cuts, stamping and wood cuts are wonderful additions! I feel a little envious of your wonderful trip, it is a good few years since I did a similar trip! I hope you get to explore Haliburton in the northern part of Ontario and perhaps a ferry ride over to Manitoulin Island, both are amazing memories from my childhood. Hugs, Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what an amazing start to your diary Deb, such fabulous images and colours in your beautiful designs. Enjoy your amazing trip, it sounds so exciting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outdoorsy rustic look of this, Deb - it will be a source of inspiration as you travel, I'm sure... not that you'll need much additional inspiration, I should think - what an exciting trip. I'm pretty envious, I must admit! Canada is very high on my travel list, and a cross-country road trip sounds amazing.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo