Friday, September 8, 2017

Fall Fair Mixed Media Reverse Canvas

Hello and thank you for stopping by!  I have a mixed media reverse canvas to share with you today that I made several months ago for a magazine submission.  Unfortunately it didn't make the cut and wasn't chosen for publication but I do love it and with fall in the air it seemed the perfect time to show it to you.


I don't have any step out photos I'm afraid but will show you some close ups and try and remember how I made it, it was quite a while ago!

I started with a 6" x 8" stretched artists canvas, reversed it and covered the front edge of the frame with some of Tim Holtz's Travel and Aristocrat Design Tapes and lined the inside and outside edges of the frame with some strips of digital paper from Crafty Vintage Girl.


Tim Holtz's On The Farm stamp set was the inspiration for this piece, I stamped the ledger stamp from the set onto Distress Mixed Media Heavystock that I'd inked with Antique Linen and Tea Dye Distress Ink and adhered it onto the inner recess of the frame for my background.

The On The Farm critters were stamped with Ground Espresso Archival ink, clear embossed and then watercoloured with Tea Dye and Walnut Stain Distress Inks.  Each animal was fussy cut and stacked one atop the other on the ledger stamped background, sealing the whole piece with Distress Matte Collage Medium.  The critters were shaded with Walnut Stain Distress Marker.


The blue ribbon from the set was stamped with Blue Jeans Distress Ink and clear embossed and the center coloured with Stormy Sky Distress ink,  '1st' was stamped with some $1 store stamps and gold embossed.  A Star Adornment was inked with Butterscotch, Sunshine Yellow and Gold Mixative alcohol inks and added to the left side of the canvas and the 'best in show' phrase was printed out onto white cardstock and added below the star.


Love the detail on these farm animal stamps!

A vintage CNE poster that I found online was printed out onto cardstock, sealed with Distress Matte Collage Medium and adhered to the left side of the frame.  A couple of 'admit one' digital tickets from Vectoria Designs were resized and tucked in behind.


Three putka pods were stacked in the bottom left corner and some oak leaves punched with a Recollections punch from Distress Ink coloured cardstock were scattered about.


Acorns from a vintage Acorn stove advertisement were fussy cut, gently curved with a stylus and popped up in each of the corners with a pop dot overtop more oak leaves.

The 'Edward Foster' advertisement from the On The Farm stamp set was stamped onto more Distress Mixed Media Heavystock that had been aged with Ground Espresso and Walnut Stain Distress Inks and was added to the bottom of the frame.


The judging of canning and preserves are a big part of any rural fall fair so I found a vintage WWI Victory Garden poster online and added it to the right side of the frame.


The Fall Fair header was created from a vintage Acorn Stove advertisement, I removed the advertising from the center with my editing program and wrote in 'Fall Fair' (think this font is Armenian Circus?), fussy cut the ad and added it to the center top of the frame, flanked on each side by more acorns and oak leaves.


I can never leave the back of any project unfinished (I'm a bit obsessive about finishing projects on all sides and edges so they look good no matter what angle they are viewed from!) so printed out this fab Brackendale, B.C. fall fair poster and added it to the back.  I want to know what a zucchini race is, will have to pop down to Squamish one of these years and check it out!


I hope that you've enjoyed seeing my Fall Fair reverse canvas, love Tim's On The Farm stamp set and how it inspired this whole piece!


Thanks so much for stopping by today and as always happy creating (and make sure to get out and visit the fall fairs in your neck of the woods!).

Deb xo

5 comments:

  1. Love this. Our fair wil be going on next week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to believe this great piece was turned away! So many fun Fall details. Love the "best in show" with the stacked animals. And so many other great details too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your canvas is delightful Deb, their loss is our gain. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Who knows why it wasn't chosen for publication it is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love it too - all that gorgeous vintage memorabilia and ephemera - and it works so beautifully in the shadow box created by the reverse canvas. I really don't "need" those animal stamps, but you've made my buying-fingers itch with this!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Due to an inordinate number of SPAM comments lately, I've had to turn on comment moderation and will post your comment as soon as I have reviewed it. Thank you so much for your interest in my work! Deb xo